Note: Some links in this post contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase. That’s actually one of the ways you make money blogging! Thanks for supporting my blogging dreams!
Social media is one another one of those critical aspects of blogging that you just have to know about. And its not enough to know about one platform, you have to learn about 3,4, or 5 platforms.
To be successful at blogging is also staying on top of trends. Twitter and Facebook used to be all one needed to know in order to be successful at blogging. Now we have social media sites like Pinterest, Tumblr, and StumbleUpon driving massive traffic to blogs. Not to mention this new video craze we have going with Periscope, webinars, and Blab. It can be hard to know which one is best for your blog and even more difficult to learn.
I think its important to know a little bit about every social media site so you can best see how to implement it in your blogging strategy. This post is the first installation in my social media series. I’ll be talking about how to use each social media site to generate traffic and revenue for your blog.
Twitter Statistics & Facts You Should Know
First here’s a little rundown on Twitter and the type of businesses it’s best suited for, courtesy of Wishpond:
- Marketing companies, news outlets, sports-related blogs, SaaS companies
- Only 60% of Twitter members are actively posting–most use it to receive news and updates on current events
- Twitter is the best place to interact with influencers and customers
- Buffer has seen an 89% increase in Favorites with images over those without, and a 150% increase in Retweets.
- 18% of US adults are on Twitter
Using Twitter to Grow Your Email List
Did you know that you can use Twitter to passively grow your email list? It’s true! There are some great automation tools that you can use to grow your email list in basically one hour per week.
Here’s the tools you’ll need:
- Landing page using Instapage, Lead Pages, or Clickfunnels (I use this and love it) offering a freebie
- Twitter account manager like Unfollowers.com
- Social Quant ($50 per month) or 10 minutes to manually follow and unfollow people daily
- Create a freebie and a landing page (I use Instapage). You can try different freebies and see which one captures the most emails.
- Sign up for a Twitter account manager. I use Unfollowers and it’s $10 per month for a premium account which you’ll need to set up automatic DMs (Direct Messages). Once you have the freebie and the landing page live, set up an automatic DM where you introduce yourself and offer your freebie by including a link. You can say something like, “Hey! Thanks for following me. If you’re interested in learning more about Twitter marketing tactics, check out my free e-book.”
- Sign up for Social Quant which automatically gets you targeted followers based on a set of 20 targeted keywords you input. Alternatively, if you don’t want to pay the pricey $50 per month fee, you can use Unfollowers to copy the followers of people in your niche. About 30-40% of the people you follow will follow you back and you can see who’s not following you and unfollow them. Be careful though, the max number of people you can follow in one day is 1000 people until you follow 2000 people. Then the follow limit is 10% more than the amount of followers you have. So for example, if you have 2000 followers, you can only follow 200 people that day. Not adhering to these guidelines could land you in Twitter jail!
That’s it! As always continue to schedule interesting social media content on your Twitter account. I suggest at least 5 posts per day. And continue to follow/unfollow a couple hundred targeted Tweeps every day to increase your account.
This is a slow process and you’re not going to get a ton of subscribers this way but it is still a good (and passive) way to grow your email list even if it’s just 2-3 people per day.
How do you use Twitter to grow your blog’s audience? Do you find it effective or ineffective? Tell me in the comments below!
Thank you for reading day 10 of my 20 Day Blogging Challenge!!! Make sure to post your article in the Facebook group and if you haven’t joined my blogging challenge yet and would like to be a part of it,check this out!
Please Pin Me
Want to learn how to drive traffic to your blog?